Liberty Homestead Farm Stud Service Policy (for sheep, see here)
We here at Liberty Homestead Farm agree to let our buck goats stand for stud service under certain circumstances. These include:
- All does come from healthy herds, and are free of visible disease (no abscesses whatsoever, no wounds, normal temperature, no diarrhea, FAMACHA score 3 or higher)
- All does that come to Liberty Homestead Farm for breeding much have proof of testing and negative result for CAE and Johne’s Disease.
- If does are from a farm outside of South Carolina or North Carolina, does must also be tested and proven to be negative of Tuberculosis and Brucellosis.
- Breeder and doe owner shall discuss terms of buck/doe breeding arrangements which can include “driveway breeding” or a board and breed arrangement. Boarding a doe will increase the stud fee charged.
- Boarding is $5 per day per doe, unless otherwise arranged, for feed, water, and board. Any special diets must be provided by owner of doe.
- The appropriate stud fee is paid prior to the breeding. Stud fee amounts will vary based upon the age, performance, lineage and winning record or championship status of the buck or his offspring, length of stay in breeding pen, etc.
- Should the doe become sick while in the care of Liberty Homestead Farm, the owner of the doe will cover all veterinarian expenses incurred.
- Liberty Homestead Farm will consult with owner of doe prior to services rendered.
- If owners cannot be reached during an emergency, Liberty Homestead Farm will permit any and all veterinarian services to stabilize health of doe at the owner of the doe’s expense.
- Should a doe expire while in the custody of Liberty Homestead Farm, Liberty Homestead Farm will not be held responsible unless malicious neglect or negligence is found to be evident as the sole cause of the doe’s death.
- Any additional fees incurred during the breeding stay of a doe will be paid in full prior to the doe being released to her owner.
- Any doe left beyond the terms of the “stay and breed” agreement without reconsideration of the terms of the agreement for more than 60 days, may be considered abandoned and surrendered and will become the property of Liberty Homestead Farm.
In order to promote improvement within the breeding of dairy goats, we reserve the right, in some cases, to provide “doe only service memos”. This will be a discussion made with the doe’s owner on assessment of the doe (traits appraised as “brood stock”) PRIOR to the signing of this agreement.
As part of the Stud Service Policy, Liberty Homestead Farm agrees:
- That all our service bucks are registered with American Dairy Goat Association.
- That all of our Senior bucks have undergone and passed a CAE test, and that all the dams of our Junior Bucks have undergone and passed a CAE test.
- That all bucks used for stud service are healthy and free from genetic faults.
- That repeat breedings will be available in the case of a doe that has not “settled,” following previous breedings, up to the point of one year.
- In the event that after a doe has not settled after one year, all stud fees will be refunded. Board fees are non-refundable.
- All efforts will be made by the doe’s owners to certify that she is able to conceive. These include observations of heat, blood work, or other diagnostic tools available to the veterinarian. Liberty Homestead Farm will have tests done on any buck that has failed to successfully breed any doe, and that until the results of that test are known, his service will be withheld.
The doe’s owner is responsible for reporting any subsequent heats, following the breeding, to confirm pregnancy, or to refute it. We also ask, though do not demand, to be notified of all offspring’s color, numbers and sex, for our records. We would also like to be informed of any wins of any kids, or descendants from this breeding.
We cannot guarantee size, color or sex of any offspring, but will honestly reveal any issues that may have arisen in the production from that buck’s line.
It is our hope that providing Stud Service from Liberty Homestead Farm will build stronger Oberhasli and Nigerian Dwarf communities and breeds. We aspire to be good stewards of the species and both breeds, and to assist anyone involved in either breed anyway possible.
Doe Owner’s Signature:______________________________________ Date: ___________
Buck’s Name/Tattoo: _______________________________________________________________
Buck Owner’s Signature: ______________________________________ Date: ___________
Terms of Stay:
Doe’s Arrival Date:
Doe’s Departure Date:
Notes on doe’s health upon arrival:
Breeding stay notes:
Service Fee Charged:
Projected Due Date:
Outcome of Breeding: